The journey begins with a mid-morning departure on Friday, October 21 from Washington, D.C.'s Union Station. Settle into the comfortable rhythms of the Dover Harbor and as you savor lunch. Enjoy the colorful fall beauty in Virginia's Blue Ridge as we travel the scenic route of the former Chesapeake & Ohio Railway. While traveling west on "George Washington's Railroad", our Amtrak train crosses the rugged mountains, and glides through the scenic New River Gorge. Enjoy dinner before our train makes an evening arrival at Huntington -- namesake city for rail baron Collis P. Huntington, who may pay us a visit during the weekend. Upon arrival comfortable rooms at the Pullman Plaza Hotel will await you.
Start Saturday with breakfast in the hotel (included) -- and then depart for a guided sightseeing tour to fantastic attractions -- the Huntington Museum of Art and the Museum of Radio Technology (admissions included) -- and a lunch stop (box lunch included) at Ritter Park. You'll have the evening to enjoy dinner at one of Huntington's several fine downtown restaurants such as local landmark Jim's Steak & Spaghetti House; shop or catch a movie at Pullman Square, stroll down to Harris Riverfront Park see the mighty Ohio River, or walk some of the downtown streets where the 2006 motion picture We Are Marshall was filmed.
The return journey begins with a morning departure from Huntington with Amtrak's Cardinal taking us back through the 'Grand Canyon of the East' while brunch is served. From your comfortable Dover Harbor seat enjoy the impressive views of whitewater rapids, towering cliffs, and glorious fall colors. Later, as our train travels through rural Virginia, enjoy a light supper before our evening arrival in Washington, D.C.
C&O’s George Washington at White Sulphur Springs, WV in 1932. Photo Courtesy of C&O Historical Society
PER PERSON PRICES
Includes round trip travel on Dover Harbor between Washington and Huntington including meals, snacks, beverages, wines and spirits as described; two nights lodging at the Pullman Plaza Hotel; hotel breakfast, lunch, transportation and museum admissions on Saturday; and gratuities to red caps.
REGULAR FARES DCNRHS
Occupancy: Member: Nonmember:
Single hotel, per person $779.00 $819.00
Shared double hotel, per person $679.00 $719.00
Shared triple hotel, per person $649.00 $689.00
Shared quad hotel, per person $629.00 $669.00
Rail only - no hotel, per person $559.00 $599.00
EARLY BIRD FARES! You may deduct THIRTY Dollars per person from these ticket prices if you pay with check and book by September 1, 2011!
1. DCNRHS makes every effort to accommodate the physically challenged; however, Dover Harbor as a historic railroad car is not wheelchair accessible. Operator requires those passengers requiring special assistance from others to travel with someone who is able to assist them.
2. No refund of purchased tickets after September 1, 2011, other than by operator's cancellation of the trip or reselling of the space. The operator suggests that passengers obtain trip insurance to cover cancellations resulting from personal emergencies, illness or other causes.
3. Package does not include gratuities, personal incidental charges, tours, admissions, local transportation or meals in Huntington except as described.
4. Schedule of departures and arrivals subject to change without notice. Operator and Amtrak reserve the right to substitute equipment.
5. Passengers may board at any intermediate station stop; please notify ticket agent if you are planning to board at a station other than Washington, D.C.
6. Passengers with special dietary requirements must notify the reservations agent in writing at least two weeks in advance of the trip.
7. The General Conditions for tours, trips, excursions and events as published on the DCNRHS web site (www.dcnrhs.org) apply. By making a reservation, participants agree to be bound by both the General Conditions and these specific Conditions.
For information, call 610-429-5858 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The George Washington October 21 - 23, 2011
I’m ready to go! My reservation and payment are enclosed:
City, State, Zip: _____________________________________
Telephone: day evening _________________________
Mobile phone (during trip): _____________________________
Check payable to Washington D.C. Chapter, NRHS
Charge to my Visa/Mastercard:
Card No.: __________________________________________
Expiration Date mm/yy: ____/ ____
Please reserve the following spaces:
# ____ DCNRHS Member at $ ________ = $ ________
# ____ Nonmember at $ ________ = $ ________
TOTAL AMOUNT: $ _________________________
Name(s) of ALL PASSENGERS (Required):
Boarding Location: Washington, D.C. _________________
Please check desired hotel accommodations:
Single Double Triple Quad
Room type preference (subject to availability): Non-smoking Smoking
How I heard about trip: E-mail DCNRHS Newsletter
DCNRHS Web Site Other ______________________
Mail to: WASHINGTON, D.C. CHAPTER NRHS
c/o Mike Martin, Reservations Agent
503 Mayfield Avenue
West Chester, PA 19380-5211