The National Railway Historical Society,
Washington, D.C. Chapter, Inc. presents the
Book this rare 12-day private train adventure now.
Pine Tree Limited is the 2014 AAPRCO all-private car special train to their 36th annual convention, this year in Portland, ME. The all-private car Pine Tree Limited operates to the convention and return via Amtrak over Norfolk Southern, CSX and Pan Am routes. All convention special mileage will be covered in daylight. The Pine Tree Limited will be parked each night, so you sleep peacefully knowing you aren’t missing any of the lovely New England early autumn scenery.
Travel Dover Harbor in classic Pullman style.
Dover Harbor’s authentic Pullman lounge is a stylish 1930s hotel lobby on wheels, including comfortable Pullman armchairs, sofas, and mahogany dining tables. The 2-berth bedrooms are transcontinental travel at its best. Our chef prepares your meals in our gleaming mid-car kitchen and all meals are served on Pullman’s distinctive china. All along the way, our white-jacketed steward will serve meals, drinks, snacks while you enjoy the camaraderie of fellow travelers and the unparalleled view.
NOTE: All passengers must be AAPRCO members and must be registered for the convention. See “Conditions” on below.
Pine Tree Limited Timetable
Tuesday, September 16: Dover Harbor passengers depart historic Union Station, Washington on the Capitol Limited to Chicago to meet up with the Pine Tree Limited. (D)
Wednesday, September 17: After an 8:45am arrival and breakfast aboard Dover Harbor, passengers have a full day in Chicago to explore the city while our consist is assembled. (B)
Thursday, September 18: The impressive Pine Tree Limited, departs Chicago, heading east on Norfolk Southern (former Nickel Plate Line) to Cleveland, OH. (B,L,D)
Friday, September 19: Depart Cleveland, OH, and continue eastbound via NS (former Nickel Plate Line), then southeast on NS (former Erie) Southern Tier to Binghamton, NY. (B, L, D)
Saturday, September 20: Leaving Binghamton, we head north on the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway to Syracuse, and east on CSX following the former New York Central “Water Level Route” to Rotterdam Junction, NY, where we interchange with Pan Am Railways (former Boston & Maine RR). The highlight of this eastward journey is Hoosac Tunnel at East Deerfield, MA, where we will spend the night. (B, L, D)
Sunday, September 21: Leaving East Deerfield, the final northbound segment of our special train takes us through the brilliant early autumn New England landscape on Pan Am Railways to Portland, ME. (B, L, D)
Monday, September 22: Wednesday, September 24 Dover Harbor parked at Yard 8, West Commercial Street, Portland for AAPRCO convention. Continental breakfast aboard Dover Harbor each morning. Other meals on your own. (CB)
Thursday, September 25: Bidding farewell to Portland, Pine Tree Limited heads south to Lowell Jct. then on to Mystic Jct. in Boston. From there the train will travel the Grand Junction line to Beacon Park Yard where the special train splits; Dover Harbor will then proceed with the eastern section on to Boston South Station to the terminus of Pine Tree Limited. (B, L)
Friday, September 26: Leaving Boston, MA, Dover Harbor travels south `and skims along Long Island Sound before heading inland to points south.
Saturday, September 27: Greet sunrise along the Northeast Corridor, arriving at Washington in early morning. (CB)
PER PERSON FARES
ROUND TRIP PACKAGE, September 16-September 27, 2014: Includes round trip travel on Dover Harbor from Washington DC to Portland, ME and return, classic Pullman bedroom accommodations overnight en route, and, meals (as listed), beverages, snacks and spirits aboard the car.
Option 1: Round Trip Package, per person, double occupancy
DCNRHS Member: $5,949 Nonmember: $6,249
PARLOR SEAT, ONE WAY, Includes one way travel only for the date(s) listed on Dover Harbor with meals (as listed for days of travel), beverages, snacks and spirits aboard the car. No overnight accommodations are included.
Option 2: Five Day Parlor Seat Package, per person, one way Chicago to Boston, September 18-21 & 25, 2014:
DCNRHS Member: $2,249 Nonmember: $2,449
Option 3a: Parlor Seat, per person, Chicago to Cleveland, September 18, 2014:
DCNRHS Member: $419 Nonmember: $519
Option 3b: Parlor Seat, per person, Cleveland to Binghamton, September 19, 2014:
DCNRHS Member: $569 Nonmember: $669
Option 3c: Parlor Seat, per person, Binghamton to East Deerfield, September 20, 2014:
DCNRHS Member: $579 Nonmember: $679
Option 3d: Parlor Seat, per person, East Deerfield to Portland, September 21, 2014:
DCNRHS Member: $589 Nonmember: $689
Option 3e: Parlor Seat, per person, Portland to Boston, September 25, 2014:
DCNRHS Member: $549 Nonmember: $649
Pine Tree Limited, Sept. 16-Sept. 27, 2014
I’m ready to go! My reservation and payment are enclosed:
City, State, Zip_______________________________________
Telephone ____ day ____ evening ___________________________
Mobile Phone (during trip) ________________________________
____ Check payable to Washington DC Chapter, NRHS
____ Charge to my Visa/Mastercard
Card No. ____________________________________________
Expiration Date ____ / ____ CID # (from back of card) ________
Please reserve the following spaces (check option desired):
____ Option 1: Round Trip Package: Washington to Portland & return, double occupancy, September 16-September 27, 2014
____ Option 2: Five Day Parlor Seat Package: Chicago to Boston, no overnight accommodations, September 16-September 27, 2014
____ Option 3a: Parlor Seat, one way: Chicago to Cleveland, September 18, 2014
____ Option 3b: Parlor Seat, one way: Cleveland to Binghamton, September 19, 2014
____ Option 3c: Parlor Seat, one way: Binghamton to Deerfield, September 20, 2014
____ Option 3d: Parlor Seat, one way: Deerfield to Portland, September 21, 2014
____ Option 3e: Parlor Seat, one way: Portland to Boston, September 25, 2014
# ____ DCNRHS Member at $_______ = $ ______________
# ____ Nonmember at $_______= $ ______________
TOTAL AMOUNT: $ _____________
ALL PASSENGER NAMES (required) / DCNRHS Member No.
___________________________________________ / ____________
___________________________________________ / ____________
Mail to: WASHINGTON DC CHAPTER NRHS
c/o Michael Wasiljov, Reservations Agent,
213 Pangborn Blvd.
Hagerstown, MD 21740-5044
1. The AAPRCO Pine Tree Limited special train is being operated by the American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners (AAPRCO) as part of their annual convention and is still subject to final approval by Amtrak and the host railroads. Passengers traveling on the special train portions of this trip must be members of AAPRCO; passengers staying aboard the car in Portland must be registered for the convention (membership and convention registration is not included in the above fares). Please contact AAPRCO for membership and convention registration information at www.aaprco.com or call 706-326-6262.
2. Passengers may be required to sign liability releases on this trip. Making a reservation acknowledges passenger's consent to sign such releases if required.
3. Round trip package fares include rail transportation from Washington, DC to Portland and return; double bedroom sleeping accommodations aboard Dover Harbor; and all events afforded the special train passengers; and, meals, snacks, beverages, wines and spirits while en route aboard the rail car only. Parlor Seat Day passenger fares include rail transportation as designated; parlor seat accommodations aboard Dover Harbor; and, meals, snacks, beverages, wines and spirits while en route aboard the rail car only. Parlor Seat Day passengers must make their own arrangements for accommodations and ground transportation at the en route overnight stops. An updated train schedule with all provided meals will be sent to passengers approximately ten days prior to the trip.
4. Fares presented are based upon tariffs and rates in effect at the time of publication. The operator reserves the right to adjust the fare to reflect any changes in special train costs.
5. Passengers must make their own arrangements for meals, activities, gratuities, personal incidental charges, and ground transportation and for all convention activities in Portland.
6. Operator has no control over transportation companies and other vendors providing services for this trip, thus it must be understood that changes can occur in the schedule, equipment, dates, routes and accommodations without notice.
7. Reservations may be made on line at www.dcnrhs.org; full payment is required at time of booking for all online reservations. Reservations may also be made by U.S. Mail with the reservation form. For Option 1- Round Trip Package, a deposit of $1,000 must accompany the reservation request. Payment of full fare is due by July 15, 2014. If payment is not received by this date, the reservation will be cancelled and the deposit will be forfeited. Fares for all other options must be paid in full when reservation is made, whether online or by mail. Reservations will not be guaranteed without deposit or payment.
8. No refund of payments will be made after July 15, 2014, other than by operator's cancellation of the trip or reselling of the space. In order to keep passengers fares reasonable, a minimum number of spaces need to be sold for this trip to operate. In the unlikely event enough spaces are not sold, you will be notified by August 1, 2014 of the trip cancellation and your entire payment refunded without further obligation on our part.
9. Reservations are not transferable and may not be resold without the written consent of the operator.
10. Cancellation and refund requests must be made in writing.
11. Package fares are per person, double occupancy. Single reservations may be purchased at double occupancy fares; however, shared accommodations will be assigned at the discretion of the reservations agent. For guaranteed sole occupancy, the single supplement is equal to the applicable per person double occupancy fare.
12. Smoking is not permitted aboard the rail car, except in the vestibule.
13. The Washington D.C. Chapter, NRHS makes every effort to accommodate the physically challenged; however, Dover Harbor as a historic railroad car, is not wheelchair accessible. Operator requires those passengers requiring special assistance from others to travel with someone who is able to assist them. Also, the en route stops of the special train are not train stations and are not accessible. Please contact the reservations agent by July 15, 2014 regarding your specific needs so arrangements may be made.
14. Passengers with special dietary needs must notify the reservations agent in writing at least two weeks in advance of the trip.
15. The operator suggests that passengers independently obtain trip cancellation insurance to cover cancellations resulting from personal emergencies, illness or other similar causes.
16. The General Conditions for tours, trips, excursions and events as published on the DCNRHS web site (www.dcnrhs.org) apply. By making a reservation, participants agree to be bound by both the General Conditions and these specific Conditions.
Get this trip announcement as a PDF flyer.