Travel via the classic 1930’s Pullman rail car, Dover Harbor, into the scenic foothills of the Virginia Blue Ridge countryside amidst the blooms of spring to the City of Seven Hills—Lynchburg, Virginia—for a weekend package tour filled with the city’s fascinating historic sites and attractions.
Dover Harbor will take leave from Washington’s Union Station late in the afternoon on Friday, April 23, 2010 with Amtrak Regional train #171. As our train races down the former Southern Railway main line, enjoy the greening springtime scenery along the Virginia Blue Ridge. Our white jacketed stewards will serve you cocktails and a light supper en route to a mid-evening arrival at Lynchburg. At Lynchburg, a motor coach will whisk you to the Kirkley Hotel for your weekend stay which includes a complimentary continental breakfast buffet each morning.
On Saturday, enjoy a full day escorted tour to fascinating historic sites and attractions around within Lynchburg and around region. Stops include guided tours of the historic Old City Cemetery, including the Mourning, Hearse, Pest House, and Railroad Station (ex-C&O) Museums and gardens; the Lynchburg City Museum and Monument Terrace in downtown; Point of Honor, Dr. John Cabell’s home overlooking the scenic James River; Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest, the retreat home designed and built by him in the country; and, the impressive National D-Day Memorial in nearby Bedford, VA. A box lunch will also be provided to all tour participants.
On Sunday, we’ll reboard Dover Harbor at mid-morning for the return trip northward with Amtrak Regional train #156. Our train will travel through the bucolic scenery filled with blooming redbuds and dogwoods, and historic Virginia Piedmont cities and towns of Charlottesville, Orange, Culpeper and Manassas. Lunch will be served en route prior to an early afternoon arrival in Alexandria and Washington.
PER PERSON PRICES
Includes round trip travel on Dover Harbor between Washington and Lynchburg including meals, beverages, wines and spirits as described; two nights at the Kirkley Hotel with continental breakfast buffets; motor coach transfers between Lynchburg Amtrak Station and hotel; motor coach tour including box lunch and all admissions to Old City Cemetery, Point of Honor, Lynchburg City Museum, Poplar Forest and N ational D-Day Memorial; and gratuities to drivers/red caps.
|Single, per person
|Double, per person
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT! |
Make your reservation and payment by February 20, 2010 and deduct THIRTY DOLLARS ($30.00) per person! Payment must be made by cash, check or money order for this offer.
1. The Washington D.C. Chapter, NRHS makes every effort to accommodate the physically challenged; however, Dover Harbor as a historic railroad car, is not wheelchair accessible. Operator requires those passengers requiring special assistance from others to travel with someone who is able to assist them. Passengers with special dietary needs must notify the reservations agent in writing at least two weeks in advance of the trip.
2. This package includes walking tours of historic properties. Tour participants must be able to walk moderate distances over unpaved surfaces and to negotiate stairs without assistance.
3. No refund or credit of purchased tickets after February 20, 2010, other than by operator’s cancellation of trip or reselling the space. Operator suggests that passengers obtain trip insurance to cover cancellations resulting from personal emergencies, illness or other causes.
4. Reservations are not transferable and may not be resold without the written consent of the operator.
5. Package does not include gratuities, personal incidental charges, or meals while in Lynchburg except as described.
6. Schedule of departures and arrivals subject to change without notice. Operator and Amtrak reserve the right to substitute equipment.
7. A $35 fee will be assessed for checks returned for insufficient funds.
For information, call 610-429-5858 or e-mail to email@example.com.
LYNCHBURG WEEKEND!, April 23-25, 2010
I’m ready to go! My reservation and payment are enclosed:
City, State, Zip: ______________________________________
Telephone: ____ day ____ evening _______________________________
Mobile Phone (during trip): ____________________________________
____ Check payable to Washington DC Chapter, NRHS
____ Charge to my Visa/Mastercard:
Card No.: ____________________________________________
Expiration Date: _____________________________________
Please reserve the following spaces:
# ____Member at $ ______ = $ ______
# ____ Nonmember at $ ______ = $ ______
TOTAL AMOUNT: $ ________
Name(s) of ALL PASSENGERS (Required):
Boarding Location: ____ Washington DC ____ Alexandria VA
Desired hotel accommodations: ____ Single ____ Double
____ Non-Smoking ____ Smoking
How I heard about trip: ____ E-mail ____ Chapter Newsletter
____ Other _____________________________________________________
WASHINGTON DC CHAPTER NRHS
c/o Mike Martin, Reservations Agent
503 Mayfield Avenue
West Chester, PA 19380-5211