Have you wondered about how railroad tracks are maintained? Have you seen and waved to work equipment you encountered during your travels by train? Had you wished you could ride some of it?
Then, join us in Fredericksburg, Virginia on Saturday morning, March 27, 2010 at 9:30AM, and you’ll get your wish--- by special arrangement, you can ride the maintenance of way equipment that comprises the Little Yellow Train. This train is composed of various former RF&P, C&O and B&O equipment, all restored to operating condition by our colleagues and hosts, the Rappahannock Chapter NRHS members.
You’ll get the opportunity to hear about this equipment and what it was used for on the railroad, then go for an approximately half mile ride from the Rappahannock Chapter’s equipment facility through the woods out to milepost 57 at the edge of the CSX (former RF&P) mainline. With luck, you’ll even see a passing freight or Amtrak train on it’s own journey north or south and can wave to them!
In addition, the Rappahannock Chapter is in the process of restoring several pieces of regular railroad rolling stock, including an RF&P Extended Vision caboose (#905), an N&W Standard Cupola caboose, a Pennsylvania X-58 boxcar and a Pennsylvania RR Baggage car. You’ll also get to learn about the restoration work on these historic railroad cars and have the opportunity to take photographs.
The presentations and ride of this tour will end by late morning, just in time for lunch on your own, prowling some of the antique shops for finds, or train-watching in nearby downtown Fredericksburg.
Chapter Members: $10
1. No refund or credit of purchased tickets after March 1, 2010, other than by operator's cancellation of the trip or reselling of the space. Reservations are not transferable and may not be resold without the consent of the operator.
2. This tour includes tours of historic railroad equipment. Tour participants must be able to walk moderate distances over uneven ground and to negotiate several steps/stairs/small ladders without assistance. All tour participants must wear closed, hard soled shoes (no atheletic shoes or sneakers).
3. All children must be accompanied and supervised by an adult.
4. Transportation to the Little Yellow Train in Fredericksburg, VA is not included; participants must provide their own transportation to/from Fredericksburg, VA site. Driving directions from Washington DC and parking instructions will be provided.
5. A $35 fee will be assessed for checks returned for insufficient funds.
For information, call 610-429-5858 or e-mail email@example.com.
THE LITTLE YELLOW TRAIN— March 27, 2010
I’m ready to go! My reservation and payment are enclosed:
City, State, Zip: _______________________________________
Telephone: • day • evening ________________________________
Mobile phone (day of trip): ____________________________________
____ Check payable to Washington DC Chapter, NRHS
____ Charge to my Visa/Mastercard:
Card No.: ____________________________________________
Expiration Date: _____________________________________
# ____ Member(s) at $ 10 = $ ________
# ____ Nonmember(s) at $ 15 = $ ________
TOTAL AMOUNT: $ __________________
NAMES OF ALL PASSENGERS (required):_____________________________
How I heard about trip: ____ E-mail ____ Chapter Newsletter
____ Other _____________________________________________________
WASHINGTON DC CHAPTER NRHS
c/o Mike Martin, Reservation Agent
503 Mayfield Avenue
West Chester, PA 19380-5211